Monday, September 28, 2009

starting up the cadian 114th

As an avid fan of all the imperial armour books I've often found myself drawn to the more obscure elements within their pages, units which get a small nod but little else. Be it the Teutonian armored regiments, or the Dnieperian mechanised brigades, I find the ambigous nature of these rarely mentioned underdogs gives one the ability to create something very unique.

So it is I find myself staring at page 41 of The Taros Campaign's orders of battle, specifically Colonel Stranski's mechanised regiment, the Cadian 114th. While this book focuses primarilly on the exploits and horrific failures of the Tallarn and Elysian forces, the Cadians were there doing their thing, apparently in a less costly fashion.

Force wise I intend to use the new Forgeworld armored battlegroup list to create a large mass of dust encrusted AFVs with a couple squads of infantry in support. While I intend on doing only around 20 guys, the trick will be to make the Cadian models, the definition of bland, interesting. So far I've been playing around a bit with ideas, mainly stolen from Warseer's gropius, and am reasonably happy with the results, see for yourself.

Photobucket

With this fella I tried to do an amalgum of MARPAT and 90's era desert camo used by US forces. The rifle was constructed as a shortened carbine to be easily used within the confines of an APC and I removed the shoulder pads and added some knee pads to try and reinvent the cadian look.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This tank is a bit of a blast from the past, reminding me of when I did my original desert guard army. Alot has improved since then and I am most pleased with my first ever real application of Mig pigments that I think turned out pretty damn spiffy, the dark rust color s is really really phenomenal invention.

No comments:

Post a Comment