Thursday, October 28, 2010

Syrian Armored Onslaught

Last weekend was an utter nightmare, I must say. Some times in the academic realms, things just go horribly horribly wrong, and one must pick up the pieces in very rapid order. Life soldiers on, and this week I have been trying not to think about Saudi Arabia, security, or anything else that will inevitably cause my brain to detonate in my skull. What better way to fill the void with a mass mans painting session!

I decided my Syrians were feeling very lonely, so I needed to fill the gaps, and fill gaps I did. Ten vehicles painted in about 10 hours, phew!

First up a BMP-1P platoon that will serve as the core transport for my infantry

Photobucket

Photobucket

The BMP-1 essentially improved a tad on the earlier platform by adding a slightly less sucky ATGM capability.

Next up Syria has suddenly managed to get its grubby mits on some BTR-90s, badass! The BTR-90 has been an attempt by the Russian fed to convert the venerable BTR series from battle-taxi to fully fledged support vehicle by throwing a BMP-2 turret on a BTR chassis.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some MTLBs for the weapons platoon. The MTLB: the m113 of the Soviet Union

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and finally, a mixed T-72 Platoon, with 2 older models and a converted T-72MV (2001)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The T-72MV has been my second attempt to produce this little beasty through conversion. My first effort was based on the wrong turret and so never quite looked right. I decided to use the QRF model that is actually the right generation, but minus the KONTAKT-5 reactive armor which I added myself.

1st attempt

Photobucket

2nd attempt

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Until next time!

9 comments:

  1. tacobat
    How do you do that weathering? It looks great!
    Are the dark areas (where paint has been worn away by use) ACTUALLY paint that's been removed, or paint that's been added?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd also like to know how you manage to blend the green camo into the overall paint scheme so well. Do you airbrush the green?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, thanks for all that!

    in regards to the weathering: There are a number of techniques I use, but the chipping is achieved by taking some of that spongy packing material that use in figure blisters, tightly securing to the end of an old paint brush with some rubber bands, and then randomly dabbing it over the model with grey paint.

    in regards to the camo: I use a Paache double action airbrush with a simple 'band' camo scheme achieved by basing it with Tamiya 'Buff' and overlaying that with stripes of Vallejo Russian Green from their air model range. I still have yet to master this bad boy, but I'm slowly gettin there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic. I'm just embarking on a modern Middle East project and was looking for weathering tips, so thanks. Also like the look of the glass, although probably a bit of a step for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All very lovely models. I keep coming back to look at these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these models! I always wanted to buy those:) Unfortunately, in Poland shop doesn`t sell any of these figures, and few people want to play something other than WFB, W40k, LOTR and DBA ... May decide to purchase the Cold War Commander and GHQ models?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I love your weathering and glass techniques

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are these Old Glory models? They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete