Friday, December 17, 2010

Cold War Weirdo versus Tenascious Taliban

Been off the radar for a while as semester has wrapped up and I've been trying (futily) to make headway on the thesis. I got the itch over the past few days and I absolutely had to scratch it, however, so I decided to finish off my gaming Syrian armor once and for all.

While I do have some fondness for the BMP-1, the sheer amount of issues with the platform, combined with some images burnt into my mind from sandland, pushed me to develop a more capable alternative. I ended up picking up 3 BMP-2s from QRF, asking Geoff to kindly replace the stock turret of the model with the BMP-2D's. The basic turret looks strange, and I've never seen nor been able to locate an image of said turret in play. The D's turret seems much more spot on, and with a little bit of filing seems to work just fine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That finishes up all the armor I intend on fielding in this army. from here on out we've got infantry and objective markers, the next item of which constitutes the first in a series. I got this idea from Geoff at QRF. The Syrians essentially took a T-34 chassis and welded a D-30 artillery piece to the back, bingo SPG. I've always liked the odd look of this thing so decided to make a mini diorama of one. I still need to paint the crew, but here is the finished model with Battlefront hull and qrf gun.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

speaking of infantry here is both the US and Syrian forces thus far


Photobucket

Photobucket


and finally some taliban/generic rural insurgents for the occupation of Syria :)

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoying what you're doing, keep it up.

    Btw, I saw this on 'The Onion' and thought it might be right up your street...

    http://www.theonion.com/articles/army-calls-for-increased-body-armor-for-troops-in,18601/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work! Love the conversion too.
    I've just started painting up my own Americans so you might want to check it out http://blackpowdergaming.blogspot.com/

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look good, and I'd be interested to know what sort of game you're intending to use them for, but...

    As someone who lived in Syria a while, those Taliban don't look anything like soldiers you'd expect to see there.

    You may already know this, or you may not care, but if you're aiming for historical accuracy (or something resembling it), you may want to do some more research.

    Sadly, I don't have any recommendations, so I can't be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed. Love the paint chippings on the tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!

    Angelic: the Taliban are not intended as soldiers but rather rural insurgents. They'll be mixed in with more urbanized guys for variety

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally don't think they look much like rural Syrians either, but I guess mixed in with a bunch of others they'd give variety.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Central Asian hats I'll give you, but the number 2 and 3 could easily be Bedouins in Saudi that I have seen all over the place, particularly in the winter when the darker gear comes out.

    at the end of the day I'm not too worried :)

    ReplyDelete