Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Reds arrive, the Gulf explodes

I recently finished my thesis, and therefor my whole degree, hooray. In celebration I took to painting again this week and whipped up a few odds and sods.

Firstly I began with stripping my AAVs, as I was never happy with them. Given that they are MEU armor, I felt that leaving them in a fresh-off-the-boat woodland cam would be appropriate, and add some flavour. Rather than airbrush the camo, I decided to simply 'hard edge' it, as it allows it to stick out more, and at this scale that is important with a dark basecoat of NATO green.

Photobucket

Photobucket

MEU Abrams

Photobucket

Photobucket


Next up I painted some Saudi armor. We've often found running games between USMC and Middle Eastern forces leaves a proffesionalism disparity between the two sides that causes conflicts to be too one sided (suprise suprise). As a result I decided with my background that painting up some Saudi units would be a pretty cool answer to this problem, since the RSAF have a pretty poor training record, leading to some interesting exchanges. Also, Saudi armor can pretty much double for US army gear, given their love of the old 'made in the USA' stamp.

Photobucket

Photobucket

On that deserty note I also painted up my first M1A2 TUSK for the stryker unit I have lined up for the future.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was never happy with the helos I painted last month, so I decided to repaint the MI-24 and use some of Dom's Iranian roundrel decals. The end result was more cartoony, but I am much happier with it, as I feel it really 'pops' in this scale.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally, I also did my first tester Chinese armor. I plan on making a decent-sized PLZ force for operations in Central Asia. As the PLA doesn't appear to have a desert camo for their vehicles I decided to make my own scheme using a mix of Vallejo Model Air Sand and Tamiya buff. The end result is a sort of greenish tan that I think suits them pretty well. The stars also give them some character. I'm looking forward to the type-99 release next year from GHQ, should give them a bit more staying power against the Abrams.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. They look fantastic!

    Which scale are you using? 6mm?

    The paint work is extremely good and the transfers suit nicely.

    Are you playing with these at all? I mean tabletop gaming not just driving them around your paint station making tank noises :)


    I now have Ambush Alley Games Force on Force rules which are surprisingly good. I have heard of Fist Full of Tows but have not found the rules yet.

    I am really keen to find out more so keep your blog going :)

    Happy Gaming,

    Allan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dude,

    The models are 6mm, I game with them when I can, but opportunities seem to be lessening these days with real life.

    At some point ill post some gaming photos, so stay tuned :) I've been using a sort of hybridized FOF that aims at streamlining some of the general processes for faster play. I don't feel getting bogged down in detail really suits modern conflict, so its really a balancing act between abstraction and a level of detail that leaves players satisfied that the equipment is being adequately represented.

    ReplyDelete