Sunday, April 8, 2012

Badass Russian Deathmachine

Some times things just all go right.

I finished up the Russian T-72BM today. I was always a little worried about this project, perhaps because I don't normally use a palette quite so white, but ultimately I am extremely pleased with the end result. I got to try out MIG's new earth wash, which really does a nice subtle job of weathering the grit and wear on this beast. Shaun at SandS was nice enough to send me some of his Mastiff bar armor, which I promptly chopped up to fit the read portion of the side hull. The crewman was a modified US tank crew guy that I found on ebay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The idea is that he is part of a new VDV 'heavy' regiment (hence the blue beret) that has come about from the downsizing of the Russian army. I'll be using BTR-T's as this army's transports. I figure since the Russian mil is getting rid of a lot of its older tanks it might retrofit these into actual APC's, Israel style.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I really like the dynamic established between them, as if the commander is trying to point out an obscure target while the gunner looks on intently.

I also used a couple more crew figures to give the Iranian T-72B a bit more character

6 comments:

  1. These are fantastic - excellent work!
    Regards,
    Monty

    ReplyDelete
  2. The level of detailing is so impressive - really nice, neat paint-jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - the quality of your stuff continues to blow me away. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen pictures of Russian troops on training ranges (in Redstar.ru) wearing US style Combat Vehicle Crewman helmets (CVCs) so the figures still work nicely for a "Contemporary Operating Environment" - off the shelf OPFOR. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome info, Steven, thanks. I shall definitely keep it in mind for future builds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome painting !
    Just one nag that is bothering me ....
    You seem to be painting the rubber roadwheels the same as the metal parts of the wheels.
    The outer (smaller part) of the circle is 99 out of 100 times made of black rubber so the wheels dont glide and spark on the metal tracks.... painting that outer circle in black would make it a 10/10 on the painting department.

    ReplyDelete