Saturday, August 4, 2012

Air-dropped heavily armed IFVs? Supercharged T-72s? Lumbering siege tanks of doom?Count me in!

The silence over the past couple weeks has in part been heavy work, but also attributable to my general lack of a desire to set up my photo box, so please forgive me, I have been getting mah paint on!

The goals lately have been a tad decoupage: between 4 main factions in FOF, I've also decided to do some sort of warhammerish-style sci fi trencher army. Our local club has also decided to start up some 10mm fantasy, so chaos dwarves it is....somewhere in here I'm also supposed to be writing a PhD and working full time.

Anyway, this last couple weeks has seen the completion of most of the armor needed for my modern Russian federal army, starting up with these hybridized Revell/ACE T-90s

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

I really love the look of these badboys. They are essentially a very modernized version of the T-72, that for political reasons managed to win the procurement battle over their bigger brother the T-80. Long story short: the T-80 became a big scapegoat for the failures of the first Chechen war, a factor that regulated it to the back burner of history. Meanwhile, the T-72 was continually innovated upon, ultimately leading to the T-90. Funnily enough, with level 2 Shtora these fellows are actually more survivable vs a Javelin in FOF than the Abrams.

I also picked up several Fabbri BMD-4s off ebay. Not the cheapest find, but when you have an airborne IFV with enough firepower (100mm ATGM-capable cannon, 30mm autocanon, 3 X PKM MGs) to singehandedly level Grozny, its difficult to say no. Although I really liked my BTR-Ts, I wanted to be able to put something down on the table in actual wide-spread deployment with the Russian forces, so the BMD was the obvious choice for the VDV.


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Somewhere in there I also found time to further flesh out my Iranian military force; this time bulking it up with some big guns. The ATGMs were a simple out of the packet build, but the getting a decent tripod Dushka in 20mm is actually a surprisingly difficult prospect (I love ww2-era carriage mounts as much as the next dude, but come on guys!). Ultimately I ended up combining a couple recoiless rifle mounts with Elhiem's guns.


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Finally, my trencher project continues slowly. I finished up the Ragnarok build and also put together a big Medusa-style gun from the guys over at HLBSC. They are now undercoated and ready to begin a long drawn out weathering process. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. breathtaking stuff this week! (again)

    Oddly enough I have never liked the T80 and always thought the T72 looks way better.

    Some hints on how you did the urban camo? Mask and spray? The absence of weathering works well actually.

    Nice stuff again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mang!

    I've been using Tamiya masking tape cut to shape and then just airbrushing on different colors.

    I'm planning on doing a T-80U conversion using the old awful S-mars kit, we shall see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are a fine artist. The lenses on the AFVs really catch the eye. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing, now idea how you can stomach those ACE kits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it all - I am a huge fan of the look of the T-90s. The Shtora jammers make the tank look so ominous.
    I had never heard of the BMD-4 - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the T-72s! Always a treat when you post new stuff!

    I love the big gun and Ragnarok - any chance of a tutorial for the camo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. At last!
    Turret that this silly Leman Russ canon could fire :)

    ReplyDelete