Thursday, August 30, 2012

Jack of all trades, master of none

I've been all over the place of late! So many projects on the go has its benefits: I get to outlet a lot of creative energy in different mediums. At the same time, however, you've overall progress gets dragged down and you can be torn between painting a unit of evil dorfs or getting a lick of paint on a shiny new T-80U.

Ah well, one does persevere.

First up on the table this week is a Ragnarok tank for my Baran Siegemaster force. This guy was long in the making and I tested out several pigment weathering techniques I hadn't really implemented before. I felt that the scale warranted a bit more subtly and I am really happy with how he turned out. I also got to try out the scheme I will use on the infantry, blue grey is a new thing for me and I am really digging the vibrancy, particularly contrast against the webbing.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

In the same line I also pumped out a Medusa. Although I think this turned out well in terms of technical aesthetic, I feel that I suffered from modelers creep and the base seems out of place for my overall conceptualization of this army. I plan on doing another one with a more urban setting, and this guy will find a new home on ebay.


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I also got some more work done on my FOF gear, imparting my Iranians with a platoon of the venerable T-55: still one of the best looking tanks out there in my view.


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
In addition my VDV boys got some new toys. If anyone has been paying attention lately the guys over at Ambush Alley released a new set of stats for vehicles and support weapons. Suffice to say the ATGMs got a big boost: a Metis now has a base anti-tank value of 7, combined with 2 for the crew and 1 for the operator. To give you a feel for the severity of this an M1 TUSK must face down this nightmare of 10 penetration dice with a mere 4 defence on the frontal arc, as ATGMs knock of a defence die. Yeoch
Photobucket Photobucket

a rare glimpse of the mythical Tacobat terrain(tm). I decided rather than buy a ridiculously expensive trench set for my Persian conscripts to sit in I'd just make my own for a few bucks. Still trying to figure out a way to zazz these up a bit, options in the desert are limited. Suggestions?




Photobucket Photobucket
And finally, in completely unrelated news: an update on my last post, the 10mm chaos dorf project is getting some steam.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Until next time! :)

10 comments:

  1. Nice work on the Ragnarok but spectacular work on those t55.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vuuuuuuuuuuu nice very nice my friend..
    erhan-miniafv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work as always.
    Maybe add some sandbags/rocks to the trenches and a bit of camo net or shade cover.
    - Courtney @ Cadian 127th

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Add some removable cammo netting, and maybe some hardened concert camouflaged bunkers. A reinforced sand bag bunker for the mortor pit to keep the guys extra ammo and provide a place to hide from counter batter fire. Cammo/command trench or bunker. Hasty forward 2-4 man positions. And some fighting positions for those t-55s to go hall down in when facing the US M1s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Taco! Out of all of the stuff in this post, I like the t55s the best. I just love your paint style on the modern armor.

    As far as the trenches - what about a few sparse trees?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continually blown away by the quality of your stuff. Keep up the great work!
    As for the trenches, I agree with WarRaptor - a few sparse trees or shrubs (even in the desert, they are still there) might help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who makes the Metis, or did you scratch it, love the VDV just looking to up gun mine as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plenty of variety there! That siege tank is a bit of a monster - I really like the unusual blocky camo scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Iranian T-55s.

    I've had a soft spot for desert camo since my first childhood Airfix kit; an Africa Korps Panzer IV.

    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The legendary Wartard speaks, I am honored ! :)

    ReplyDelete