Saturday, November 10, 2012

The last titan of Soviet armor

Another election cycle down and the world keeps a'turnin. I've soldiered on in a few different scales over the past couple weeks, but things have been pretty slow going.

First up is a QRF T-80 Platoon with a mix of B and BV models. These are some of Geoff's nicest offerings and come with a full compliment of bells and whistles. I decided to shirk the fuel tanks, but doll up the turrets with full accessories including the commander's shield. Hit them again with the 1990s 'Fulda' camo scheme and restricted weathering.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


I added a few more troopers to my Iranian forces too. This time around I went for a woodland BDU which came out quite nicely. I really like the contrastit strikes with the tan webbing, similar to the effect found with MARPAT and coyote-colored LBVs and plate carriers, only more extreme. Mixed weapons up a bit more too, adding in a couple MP5s along with the usual AK-74 and MG3 just to keep things spicy.
Photobucket Photobucket
The Iranians are nearly done! only three more plebs and 1 and 1/2 weapon teams left I can officially close the door on them. The final tally is 5 7-man squads with full compliments of SAWs, MMGs, RPGs; 4 weapon teams with Dushkas and AT-4s; 3 BMP-2s of various make; 3 T-55s; 3 T-72s; and a Grad. More than enough for any FoF game!

Photobucket

Finally: a little something different. As with a good portion of the wargaming world I have been bitten by the Horus Heresy bug. Its been a very long time since I've space marined and I was struck by the sheer amount of after market parts available. For this little project I'm going to try and take on the infamous Blood Angels 5th chapter: the fellows who were to become the Flesh Tearers upon the decimation of the legions. He retains the post-heresy color scheme with original BA markings.

Photobucket
Photobucket

The main problem I find with 28mm is the sheer amount of time it takes to paint each guy, especially when they are as highly detailed as your average grimdarker!

Last but not least: am I alone in utterly hating the new photobucket? No longer can I just easily CnP HTML links; instead I must engage in a relatively convoluted timesink to get them out!

6 comments:

  1. The Iranians look great! Now all you need are some helicopters and Revolutionary Guard! :D
    I am also digging the SM. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Your Iranians do look good and I do like the contrasts on the infantry which is something that is far more common than we wargamers portray it on our figures especially when troops are deployed quickly and there isn't time to issue everything in the right colours. I also have the same problem with 28mm, the level of detail really slows me down even using the dip method. It probably doesn't help that 90% of what I paint is 6mm.

    Cheers

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Iranians looks smashing.
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on those tanks & Iranians! I agree with you on 28mm - I've stopped collecting 28mm armies for now due to the paint-up time, & only use the scale for skirmish games at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb, you're nominated for a Liebster Award.
    http://dougieswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/liebster-award.html
    Dougie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site.
    eagle plate carrier

    ReplyDelete