Wednesday, February 22, 2012

QRF load build continues, Iran scores more Russian tanks.

Back on the horse this week, I decided to do a big lot of the QRF armor sitting on my desk to keep Geoff from breaking my legs :). Once again the Iwata airbrush has really proved its mettle, I can't recommend it enough.

I decided to go with a generic arid scheme with the armor this round. I feel that this will increase the saleability on Ebay, as it really can fit in with most theaters, from desert to woodland, and I can envisage it in forces ranging from African professionals to Russian peacekeepers in central Asia.

First up is the 2S19 battery. I really liked these models and couldn't figure out why until I realized they look a great deal like a stylized version of the WW2 German Elefant/Ferdinand SPG. In the field these guys are essentially Russian M109A6s.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also went after the T-55M, a modernization of the revered and ancient T-55. Adding frontal armor, wind direction measurer thingy, and a bunch of other jazz I don't care that much about.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Knocked down another T-62 just cause.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also tackled some French armor, painting it up in a generic desert scheme that could be used by the French, Saudis, GCC or any number of African states.

The AMX-13: Contender for the 'cutest tank in history' award.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

its bigger, meaner bro, the AMX-30 B2

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also was intent on finishing a couple of 20mm pieces.

First up is a kitbashed Revell/ACE T-72BV. The ACE kit, as some will be aware, is a terrible terrible thing, so I was forced to use elements of it over the base structure of the much nicer Revell offering.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and also the T-62MV shown last week

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Elhiem Iranians? Elhiem Iranians.

Since no one produces actual modern Iranians I thought I would give it a shot using a bunch of Elhiem's CW German and NATO infantry. I'm sure the rivet counters (read: me) among us can find fault, but I think with the right paint job it doesn't matter TOO much ;)

This guys actually took considerably longer than my US army dudes, since I decided to mix up the uniforms and give them a big more of a rag-tag look. I think it makes the end results more interesting though. I've gone with a combination of DCU (US late 90s-early 2000s), Choc Chip(US 80s - 90s) and Duck Hunter (AUSCAM desert) camo , all of which the Iranians produce domestically or import. I kept the webbing and boots consistent to give them some uniformity as well.

One particularity fun aspect of an Iranian project is the fact that Iran has such a wide variety of equipment in service due to its interesting history. Rifles in service range from the G3 to the AK-47/74 to Nornico knockoffs of the M16. Armor is similarity eclectic; APCs and IFVs under arms include the M113, the BMP (including a domestically produced family of vehicles based of the chassis known as the Boragh) and some Chinese gear. Tanks, too, are really mixed up with plenty of British, US and Soviet vehicles in the stockpile. Fun fun!

Despite the time required I'm going to need a fair few more of these guys than I will US troops, and I plan on mixing in more schemes, like US woodland, into the mix for future batches.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also decided to outfit the force with some armor other than the standard T-72/T-55 combo that seems prevalent these days. Picked up an old Esci T-62M kit off the bay and decided to kitbash it into a T-62MV, I do love my bricks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'll be painting up this bad boy in a big lot of upcoming armor which will continue my QRF project as well

cheers!

Monday, February 13, 2012

Scalin' up with the US Army

Hey guys, long time no see

Since returning I've been inundated with a bunch of life's drudgeries, I did manage to get some brushwork done on some of Elhiem's tasty US Army guys. Last time I attempted to upscale my 15mm UCP technique to 20mm, but I was never happy with that. This time around I tried an entirely new method. Much happier with the result!

Photobucket

Photobucket