Thursday, July 12, 2012

Russian paratroopers kick in the door

I've been pretty busy lately. I'm at that stage in the dissertation where the walls start to close in on you and your brain begins to take on the consistency of wet cake. Unfortunately for this blog this has meant not a great deal of paintage has been achieved, but I have had a few things slowly simmering away on the back burner.

For quite some time now I've had an itch to do some ultra-modern Russian federals, the part of the past few months has been spent gathering the materiel to create a reasonable sized group for Force on Force. At this time the only real supplier of contemporary Russians is Under Fire Miniatures, a company who's quality is really unsurpassed in my mind. Although UFM has some very nice sculpts, the range is quite limited and requires a bit of converting to keep each fellow unique. In this regard I've sourced a range of different heads for swapping, mixing in the older style WW2-style helmet with the newer 'sphera' model.

Painting these I really wanted to try something different than the Flora pattern that seems to be the dominant pattern in the Russian forces these days. Luckily there seems to be a digital camo in circulation that strongly resembles MARPART desert, as pictured below on these surly VDV paratroopers:


Achieving this look took a bit of experimentation. I tend to like a bit of exaggeration in my camo schemes, aiming to capture a sort of cartoony 'feel' in a smaller scale instead of going for a more realistic finish like the fantastic Piers Brand did with his amazing Elhiem USMC. In the end I decided to go with a base of Vallejo Khaki(988) overlaid with a disruptive scheme of Light Mud(315) and Light Mud(315) mixed with Dead White(001). Applied in a random stippled fashion this seemed to capture the overall appearance of digital camouflage in my eye and I am quite happy with the outcome!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Given the rather unreliable nature of the Russian supply chain, I decided to mix up the webbing and LBVs a bit, issuing some in the proper camo scheme and some in plain brown.

I also finished up some more IRGC troops for my Iranians, this time sporting AK-74s. These are Elhiem Cold War Soviets in body armor with some resculpted pants and new helmets decked out in the Duck Hunter pattern that suspiciously resembles the ADF's desert scheme...


I finished an M2A3 for my US forces too. These IFVs are brutal in FoF.

Photobucket Photobucket

And finally, a glimpse of future portents. A different type of project to be integrated into this log :)