Saturday, January 5, 2013

Cold War behemoths and Soccer-mom gun carriers

I picked up an old Esci kit of a T-62m off ebay for cheap and had a crack at it.

IPB Image

This kit really showed it age and needed a lot of work in terms of proper tooling. Even then I'm not sure its particularly accurate. All the images of the M model T-62 I've found have had upgraded bra armor on the front of the turret; a rectangular range finder over the main gun; plus a few other esoteric features that seem absent on this one. Another major issue is the shape of the turret itself with a large shot trap underneath the front area. This may have been a feature on the Czech models, I'm really not certain, but all images I've seen of the T-62 turret have it being the same semi-spherical shape of its predecessor, the T-55.

IPB Image

The major fixage was the material sheath around the base of the 115 gun needed some major work with green stuff. The kit also had the strange distinction of having no guiding teeth for the tracks, so you literally just had to stick them on and use the old mk1 eyeball for alignment. At least they weren't rubber!

IPB Image

Design and building gripes aside, however, this was a pretty decent kit to put together. Minimal flash and no warpage left a refreshing taste in my mouth after my experience with ACE and various other Eastern European kit manufacturers. Now if only someone would put out a 62MV kit with reactive armor goodness.

IPB Image

I decided to go a bit different in terms of scheme this time around. With all the mess in Syria at the moment I went with a scheme common in that country consisting of dark Russian green disrupted with bright yellow stripes. A tad gawdy, but effective and striking in contrast.

I've always had a soft spot for the T-62. It was the bastard child of Soviet industry: never quite proving itself over its predecessor and quickly being usurped by the T-64 and T-72. Still, it deployed the first smoothbore gun in history and had an idiomatic aesthetic throwback to the heavy tanks of WW2, with its elongated hull and forward-placed turret.

I also threw together a couple SandS technicals just for fun.

IPB Image

The great thing about technicals is there is no standardized approach one needs to take in their construction. Anything goes, and it allows the artist free reign in what they want to do.

IPB Image

In this case I decided to take the 2-door cab hilux and add an armored dushka. for a bit of extra fun I chucked on a pintel ring to give the gunner a bit more flexibility. No doubt salvaged from the burning wreck of some decades-old Soviet armor.

IPB Image

The crew I decided to keep as racially ambiguous as possible so I can plug the vehicle into as many conflict zones as I can. Regardless, they aren't the most survivable units on any battlefield, but they do add a bit of whackyness and character.

IPB Image

I also gave the insurgents a bit of anti-armor firepower with this 4-door cab mounting a Soviet SPG-9 recoiless rifle.

IPB Image

The white was fun to weather and relatively simple to detail using my standard methods, it really shows off the rust-chip effect.

IPB Image

And heres a group shot of the finished guys

IPB Image

8 comments:

  1. You've got such a great sense of movement in those technicals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff my friend. I have recently purchased Force On Force and love seeing your updates. What lines do you use and scale for your models ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your T-62 looks like the version Iraq used as they were the only country to fit that particular type of wavy skirt (see http://www.kavehfarrokh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Iraqi-T-62-tabks-invade-Iran-sept-22-1980.jpg for an example). As you say the turret doesn't look right and I can't remember seeing any T-62's with that turret type, my guess would be that the model designer didn't have any proper photos etc to work off when the model was created and used a US intelligent reports sketch of what they thought an upgraded T-62 would look like. This is something I've found has happened with quite a few 6mm tank models designed in the late 70's and early 80's.

    Cheers

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great addition. I aspecially liked those techicals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the T-62. I recently found some pictures online of the T-62 in Ossetia in 2008 with the bar armor all around the sides, rear, and three sides of the turret. One of those would make an interesting converting challenge! I always enjoy your updates: your tank work has inspired me to work more on my AFVs lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good job !! bravo !!! i like this pick up and T62

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks gents!

    Yea Rich, we had a bit of a discussion about it over at the Guild and as best we can tell its mostly based on the Iraqi hodgepodge incarnation with a few extra additions like the gratuitous turret ring and the weird turret shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work as always. I especially like the technicals - fantastic detail!

    ReplyDelete