Tuesday, October 1, 2013

15mm Israeli armor for the Yom Kippur War by Khurasan

Khurasan has had me do some of their tasty new Israeli kit for their new range. The prospect of painting up a new and relatively unknown period to me was very sexy. I know very little about the conflicts outside of their broader geopolitical ramifications. I've always liked that weird ad hoc feeling the various armies involved seem to have. You have a strange mix of WW2 equipment with more modern stuff.

In particular, the centurion has always been a bit of a rare bird to me. A real ancient looking beast, it radiates a kind of badass factor that is hard to quantify. When I was asked to paint two, I got a little excited.

Apparently this one is called the Sh'ot Kal 3


 photo S31.jpg photo S35.jpg photo S32.jpg photo S33.jpg

 photo S34.jpg

and this is its slightly heftier brother, the Sh'ot Kal 5. The main difference, as far as I can tell, is the turret bustle.



 photo S51.jpg photo S52.jpg photo S53.jpg photo S54.jpg photo S55.jpg
 photo S56.jpg

And finally, here is what I am told is a Magach 6. As far as I can tell this is an M48/60? Apparently these were straight off the boat with no mods. Probably courtesy of the Nixon airlift.

 photo M31.jpg photo M32.jpg
 photo M33.jpg
All of these kits REALLY impressed me. Khurasan is definitely setting a new standard in the 15mm markets and other manufacturers are gonna need to start looking over their shoulder if they continue this level of output. As far as I can tell on their website they have already got modern US, Russian, North Korean and Arab/Israeli ranges in various stages of rollout! Stay tuned!

9 comments:

  1. Very nice. Would love to learn your chipping technique. Khurasan is definitely expanding fast. Too bad I am already committed to 20s for moderns (although I'm not sure it is correct to classify something that happened in the 60s and 70s as modern).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work! Pity I pretty much bought all of the models I needed before Khurasan and Battlefront started putting out their kits. I may pick up a few, just because...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What color/colors did you use for the Israelis tanks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ak interactive's modern German desert tan color

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work Tacobat...I have to agree about the Centurions looks, it's got that British / Darlek type look a bit like the Cromwell. The Centurion just looks badass. I would love to see some Aussie Centurions, I've seen a few pictures of Aussie Centurions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great, what color or colors did you use for the IDF tanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get the M60 mate? Is it Khurasan too? I can't find it in their site...

    ReplyDelete