Saturday, November 30, 2013

PLA armor in digital camo

I've always struggled to get digital camo to look 'right' on armor. Previous attempts have left one dominant color with accentuations of others as lesser components, but to me that has never really grasped the aesthetic balance found in the real world article. With that in mind I decided to try a new technique: rather than rely on the mask to be the full under layer, I would instead use it as a periphery and fill in large areas with blue tac to give more of a balance to the various colors. I tried this on some PLA armor and I think the result is much better than my previous efforts.

on a type 99

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

and a type 86 (not quite complete - tracks still need weathering)

Image

Image

Image

I also minimized general weathering to further emphasize the effect.

With the experience gained from this I may try an Urban scheme on T-90MS that I recently stripped. Regardless, more PLA gear in the pipeline for Tajikistan :)

10 comments:

  1. Nice! How did you paint the digital effect? That's always stumped me. Great looking work Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb, your making me think I should get back to mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb Stuff! Love the PLA armor. This Type 99 is amazing! Are they from Khurusan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nah, these are 20mm/1/72 stuff from S-model.

      Supposedly 'quick build', but the Type 99 is actually a pretty standard kit. The BMP, however, can be thrown together in ~ 20 minutes.

      Delete
  4. WOW! That is superbly fast!

    Err is there anyway I can seek help from you in acquiring the skill to speed paint at such a rate?

    Perhaps a step by step instructions? Much is appreciated. :3

    One thing is for sure, amazing skills!

    ReplyDelete