So it appears the Russian Fed is in the process of upsetting European stability. My colleagues and I have been generally puzzled about the goals of this action for the past week or so, as we tend to subscribe to the realist school of international relations and the benefits of violating sovereignty in the Crimea certainly don't appear to outweigh the the long-term negatives.
Regardless, we know one thing: this is a good excuse to paint mandollies.
One thing I've noticed about the 'digital flora' camo uniforms we've seen on display in Ukraine is that they appear to effectively fade to a monotone. Pictured here you can see a fellow with what appears to be newly-issued helmet cover and plate carrier, contrasted against a more worn in jacket and pants set.
|Shemaghs: apparently ubiquitous military issue, regardless of geographical location|
This left me with a bit of a dilemma. At 15mm the nuances of such a subtle color palette would be so miniscule as to barely warrant attempting to actually paint it as a camouflage scheme. As such, I decided to represent digital flora as simple monotone green, without worrying about attempting to reproduce the pattern itself. I also decided to add some variance by painting jackets and helmet covers in the 'partisan' pattern. On top of this, I sculpted on balaclavas and knee pads to most of the figures, as these appear to be fairly ubiquitous in the contract soldier ranks.
As with Eureka's ADF range, the details on the Russians are simply stellar. The variance of Sphera and regular helmets in particular really is a nice touch There is little to critique about the range apart from a decided lack of RPKs (all the MGs are PKMs which I don't believe are actually as common as the former at the squad level) and ATGMs (of which I have discussed with Nic who has said he will likely get either a Kornet or a Metis-M sculpted in the near-to-mid future).
Given the Chain of Command ruleset we will be using to field these guys I also need to do up some assets. I've been playing around with a few ideas.
First up, combined the Khurasan T-90A with Zvezda's T-72BM kit. I was quite impressed with Khurasan's offering from the outset, but the hull always seemed a bit too squat for my tastes. I'm not a rivet counter, by any stretch, so I can't comment on the authenticity of the measurements. However, aesthetically I wanted something that loomed a bit more, so the Zvezda hull seemed to be the appropriate way of counteracting this.
I also updated a couple gaps in Zvezda's BM kit - mainly the decided lack of AAMG and smoke launchers. Here I used a Eureka NSV cut down from its tripod and scratch built the launchers. I also added some empty fuel barrel cradles from the Khurasan T-62 kit
Finally, I wanted to beef up the Zvezda BTR-80s a bit. The easiest option seemed to be upgrading them to the A model with a 30mm autocannon. Here I took QRF's own BTR-80s and scrapped the hulls; combining the turret with the Zvezda hull. I also retooled the barrels, as they were a bit 'iffy'
The end result should be 3 BTR-80As, 2 T-90As and a T-72BM to outfit the platoon.