I've been experiencing a bit of 40k nostalgia of late and I've decided to dip my toe in a little and try out some of the techniques I've developed in modeling real world armor. The objective is pretty simple: make the ridiculous look a bit less so. With that in mind, I decided to have a go at a Forgeworld Krieg Leman Russ tank, while indulging in a little nerd lore.
The Bellerophon was an Mars-pattern Leman Russ Vanquisher deployed to Taros as part of imperial efforts to recapture the lost planet from the Tau dominion. The tank was part of an Arcadian motorised battalion that saw the majority of infantry having to walk across the blistering surface of the desert planet.
With the widespread mechanical difficulties experiences during the first Taros campaign in mind, Mechanicus personnel insisted vehicles used in the new campaign be fitted with extensive mechanical air filters in order to minimize the extra maintenance necessary in the highly dusty and arid environment of operation.
Given the relative weakness of the standard rolled homogenous armor of most fighting vehicles in the Imperial Guard arsenal when facing the advanced particle weaponry of the Tau, numerous tanks and APCs were fitted with additional reactive armor plating for additional protection.
The Bellerophon itself was a relative minority amongst its peers. As an 80A hull variant, it replaced the ubiquitous diesel engine found in most Russ types with a gas turbine that added greater acceleration and top speed, with the trade off of increased fragility and maintenance requirements. As a result, the rear of the hull on such models was dedicated to extra stowage.
Overall, a fun, if somewhat exhausting build! lots of resin to cut and fit and painting digital camo in the 1/56 scale is quite an extensive process. Future endeavors may utilise more traditional schemes, I will have to wait and see.
Ultimately I'm very happy with the end result and suspect a few such vehicles, in tandem with a chunk of infantry will look quite spiffy.