Saturday, October 3, 2015

Battered Bastards of Basrah

Oh hey, a moderns post, what a surprise.

With the upcoming FoW Cold War gear and the actual intervention of Russians into the Levant recently I've gained some creative mojo to pump out some new sexy kit and focus on my theme of "the Middle East has gone full retard." This round I went back to 15mms and busted out some Khurasan gear to work on.

After my recent experience painting the Islamic State T-55s, I think I figured out my optimal style setting. Rather than aim for hyper fidelity realism, which tends to turn out a fairly clean looking product, I'm going to be focusing on extreme weathering from here on out. This produces a far more interesting looking product in the end. As a result, lots of chipping for US equipment - even though this makes me spidey senses tingle - and a general attempt to stick to darker tones in the modulation process so everything doesn't emerge in different shades of off white.

First up was the Khurasan M1A2 TUSK II, a model which I have stripped 5 + times now to get 'right.' I think, finally, I'm happy with the turn out. This is a revised kit with a number of new accessories added to it supplied by Nic at Eureka and Battlefront.





I made a similar effort with the above fellow's little brother, the TUSK I. He retains similar modifications.





I also applied the same ethos to the M60 I have previously displayed on this blog, going for a flat tan employed by the Iranian Army with added crewmen and stowage.


Expanding on the previously displayed ISIS motorpool, I also took one of the Khurasan Hummers and added an NSV by Eureka and a Peter Pig crewman. This represents one of the many hundreds plundered from Iraqi stockpiles last year.


Finally, I also did up a regular US Army M1114 with added counter-IED equipment. Feels a bit weird doing these up without accompanying MRAPs, but we'll have to wait til a good company puts one out :)


Overall, very happy with how this lot turned out and given that they are to be used in a skirmish-scale game like CoC I'm not too worried about spending a lot of time on them individually.

10 comments:

  1. Great looking vehicles, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work as always - lush detailing! As you say, the weathering & chipping makes it all stand out despite the plain khaki colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I especially like ISIS humvee. What colours did you use for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the base modulation color is built from AK's New Iraqi Army

      Delete
    2. Ok, I will try it. And where did you get a crewman? Is it a conversion?

      Delete
    3. Hummer crewman is a battlefront US vietnam tanker with a headswap from Peter Pig's Tuareg headset.

      Delete
  4. Very nice! Although repainting something 5 times seems excessive... :). I'd just buy 5 more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ace! Your stuff is simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding work, your M1s look spot on. My only suggestion would be to put a Mark 19 ammo can on the rear bustle rack, and maybe a Rhino mount on the front of the M1114

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing. I love the ISIS occupied hummer, but its all great work.

    ReplyDelete