Sunday, December 4, 2016

Ultramarine Tartaros Termis

So, after painting up the rather unfortunate Ultramarine on Angron's base a few weeks back I was inspired to continue my venture into cerulean central and continue work on the 13th legion. With the release of Prospero I was really impressed by the Tartaros terminator set, but felt that their aesthetic didn't necessary suit the World Eaters particularly well and that they would be much more effective done up as some Ultras.

 
 photo TSMURFS1.jpg
 
 
After the persistent nerve wrack that is painting the World Eater's white, I've found blue a far more chill color to work with and these were by far some of the most fun minis I've done in some time.
 
 
 photo TSMURFS2.jpg
 
Weathering was a tad more muted this time around; nevertheless, I felt the chipping still suited them quite well. At the same time, I tended to avoid the out-and-out rust and grime I employed on the WEs
 
 
 photo TSMURFS3.jpg
 
The Tartaros set itself was very impressive, offering even more options than the Cat termis, including a full spectrum of heavy weapon options. The only thing missing were combi attachments for the bolters.
 
 photo TSMURFS4.jpg
 
Base scheme was Vallejo air Ultramarine blue modulated up to Vallejo Light Sea Blue. I then hit it the unsealed figure with a filter of AK interactive blue black oil wash for further toning.
 
 
 photo TSMURFS5.jpg
 
The light brass effect was achieved with a 75/25 mix of Vallejo Old Gold and Vallejo model air Steel. I then applied straight Steel to highlight the edges and points of weathering.
 
 photo TSMURFS6.jpg
 
Overall, very fun and a good force to mix up with the WE's to preserve my sanity :)

6 comments:

  1. Looks great.

    Some friends keeps trying to get into 30k. This ain't helping in my resistance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. That blue is very rich. Kinda makes me want to have a crack at 30k again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done! Just had a chance to go through your archives as well - awesome stuff all around, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible work as always - your brush skills can even make the lame Ultramarines look like fun!

    ReplyDelete